10-Minute Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 egg
- 55g butter
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 150mL water
- Sift the flour, sugar, and cocoa together in a bowl. Add salt. Mix.
- Add egg, butter, milk, and vanilla and combine with an electric mixer. Pour into a microwave safe bowl. (Mixture rises about 5cm.)
- Combine brown sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Sift over wet mixture.
- Warm water and gently tip over mixture. Gently stir the very top of the mixture until you can no longer see any dry sugar or cocoa.
- Gently pass a fork or spoon through to the bottom of the bowl in several places to ensure the sauce forms at the bottom.
- Cook in an 800W microwave for five minutes.
I use a Pyrex baking dish for several reasons: it’s looks better; it takes up less space; and the ratio of pudding to sauce is better with a flat-bottomed dish.
Crack the egg into a separate bowl before adding it to the dry ingredients so that it won’t ruin the mixture if it is bad.
Slightly melting the butter makes it easier and quicker to mix in.
I sift the ingredients for the sauce – brown sugar and cocoa – over the mixture because it distributes it more evenly across the pudding.
When stirring the water over the top, make sure you don’t dip the fork or spoon down too low – do not mix the pudding mixture with the sauce mixture – the brown sugar/cocoa and water should sit on top.
Once you’ve added the sauce ingredients, the top layer should smell and taste like hot chocolate.
Gently passing a fork or spoon through to the bottom of the bowl ensures the sauce makes it way through the mixture and to the bottom of the bowl.
Keep an eye on the mixture while it’s cooking in the microwave so that it doesn’t rise over the lip of the bowl – this is why I like using glass bowls, so you can see through them.
Do not stop the microwave while the mixture’s cooking unless something happens to it or the microwave.
That’s it – enjoy your 10-minute self-saucing chocolate pudding hot from the (microwave)oven.
Until next time